Creating a Project from an Opportunity
Before you can create a project in this way, an administrator must first have followed the instructions in Configuration for Creating a Project Using the PSA Actions: Project Creation Lightning Components.
To create a project from an opportunity:
- Click Actions | Project Creation | Create Project on the relevant opportunity record. The Create Project window opens. You can select an existing project or a template project to use as the basis for your new project.
Select a recently used project or search for a project using two or more characters that appear anywhere in the name. Up to 100 projects are displayed and are controlled by project sharing settings. To filter the search results, click , select or deselect the filter options, and click Apply. You can filter by Region, Practice, Group, and Templates Only. Your filter selections are retained between browser sessions.
The projects are displayed in separate cards by default. To change the view to a list, select List from the button menu. Your selection is retained whenever you use the same browser on the same device.
For more information on this window, see PSA Actions: Project Creation Lightning Component Fields.
- Click Next.
- Complete and update the project detail fields as required. The project start date defaults to today's date. The dates in other fields are updated based on the difference between the start date on the project or template you selected at Step 2 and the start date on the new project. For details of the fields displayed, see Project Fields.
Your administrator can control the project detail fields that are displayed and their order by specifying a project field set in Project Details Editable in the Create Project Personal custom setting. Formula fields in the selected field set are not displayed.
- Click Next. Records for related objects from the project or template you selected at Step 2 are displayed in sections. If there are no records for an object, the corresponding section is not displayed.
- Expand the sections to review and edit the records each one contains and deselect any records you do not want to include in your new project. You must have Read and Edit permissions for each object to be able to view and edit these records.
Dates on the related object records are highlighted in yellow when they are different from the dates in the source project or template. If you changed the project start date at Step 4, dates on the related object records are offset by the same amount. Dates are not offset for resource requests on opportunities or milestones from opportunity products.Notes
The columns of data displayed for each object are controlled by the field sets configured in the Create Project Personal custom setting for each object. These settings dictate whether a column is read only, editable, or hidden. For more information on these settings, see Create Project Personal Custom Setting.
Columns containing formula fields are not editable, even if controlled by an editable field set that is configured in the Create Project Personal custom setting.
If you expand the Resource Requests section and hover over the skills in the Skills and Certifications column, a popup displays the skills sorted alphabetically by default. If you would prefer to see the skills grouped into Essential and Desirable categories, contact your administrator. For more information, see Enable Desirable Skills.
For a milestone to be displayed in the Milestones from Opportunity Products section, the relevant opportunity product must have Is Services Product Line selected and Added to Project deselected. For more information on the fields displayed in this section, see Milestones from Opportunity Products.
When milestones from opportunity products are added to a project, the Added to Project field is automatically selected on the opportunity product record unless the create project with no opp update permission configuration option is set to true.
For a resource request on an opportunity to be displayed in the Resource Requests from Opportunity section, the Project field on the resource request must be empty.
Even if you have an editable field set configured in the Create Project Personal custom setting to control the columns displayed in the Resource Requests from Opportunity section, the columns are not currently editable.
The columns of data displayed for the Project Task object are not controlled by field sets. The following columns are always displayed: Name, Assigned Resources, and Estimated Hours.
- [Optional] From the Budget section, select Create Budget. You can view and edit the budget you have created from the Budgets related list after you have created the project. If you select Create Budget, this is retained whenever you use the same browser on the same device for this procedure.
- Click Create Project. If an error occurs in queuing the jobs, you are redirected to the Edit Project Details window, where you can resolve the error.
- [Optional] Click Close.